Attractions

The River Tweed is one of the major Salmon rivers of Scotland its 90+ miles of fishing regularly produces in the region of 10,000 fish per annum to the rod angler.

Located on a bend of the River Tweed, 1 mile (1½ km) west of Peebles in the Scottish Borders, Neidpath Castle dates from 1370 when it was built by the Hay family and remained in their ownership for over 300 years. In 1686 it passed to William Douglas (1637-95), 1st Duke of Queensberry and after a time it became neglected. In 1810 it was acquired by the Earl of Wemyss whose descendants still occupy it.

Traquair House situated 7 miles from Peebles was originally owned by the kings of Scotland. It later became the home of the Earls of Traquair and is still lived in by their decendants, the Maxwell Stuart family. It is well known as the oldest inhabited and most romantic house in Scotland.

Peebles Town Walk was originally designed as part of Peebles Civic Society's contribution to European Architectural Heritage Year. The full walk will take rather more than two hours to complete, but a shorter walk is also provided for in the published booklet which is available from "Visit Scotland" office on the High Street.